Etusivu - Kolmihenkinen perhe ulkona

Official, Everyday and Family Matters

Official Matters

Local Registration

After arriving to Finland, you need to submit a Notification of move to a local post office or submit your notification online.

Foreign citizens from all countries who intend to stay or work in Finland for at least one year or longer must also register at the local register office (Digital and Population Data Services Agency, Juhonkatu 4, Seinäjoki). You can make an appointment online or make an appointment by calling.

The registration must be done within one week of your move.

Bring the following documents with you to the register office:

  1. Passport
  2. Residence permit (if you come outside the EU/EEA area)
  3. Other relevant documents and their official translations (the Apostille Certificate, apostille-todistus, if you come outside the EU/EEA area). For example, if you are married, you need to bring your marriage certificate. If you have children, you need to bring their birth certificates.


Opening a bank account as soon as you can is essential not only to receive your salary, but it is also a very handy tool for different online identification purposes.

You will need to visit a bank personally. Take with you as many official identification documents as you can. The following documents are usually needed:

  • Passport or other official ID with a photo
  • Residence permit from non-EU citizens
  • Work contract (recommended)
  • Finnish personal ID code (required in most banks) (When you are granted a residence permit or a residence card or your right of residence is registered by the Finnish Immigration Service, your personal information will automatically be recorded in the Finnish Population Information System. You will also be issued a personal identity code.)
  • In most banks, it is necessary to make a personal appointment in advance to open a bank account and to get service in English. Banks are usually open during business hours only.

List of local banks:
Etelä-Pohjanmaan Osuupankki, Hallintotie 1
Nordea, Topeeka 21
OmaSP, Puistotie 70
Suupohjan Osuuspankki (POP Pankki), Topeeka 31

Everyday Matters


Most homes in cities and towns have district heating systems (kaukolämpö). In this case, heating is included in the rent. However, if you live in a detached house or outside the city, you might have electric or oil heating and you should be prepared to pay for them. Electricity is quite expensive in Finland.

Electricity is not usually included in the rent and you need to make an electricity contract (sähkösopimus) as soon as possible. You can choose the providing company. If you move, remember to terminate, or update you contract.

Water is often included in the rent. In some case, however, you need to pay an additional monthly water fee either based on usage or a fixed sum.

Some recently built apartments offer internet access. However, it is very likely that you do need to make your own agreement with one of the internet service providers for example DNAElisa, or Telia.

Mobile phones
Telephone booths and land lines are almost non-existent in Finland. You will most likely get a work mobile phone with a plan but if you would like your own as well or one for a family member, a pre-paid phone card could be an option for you to start. You can buy these at the operator shops (for example Elisa, Telia, DNA) or in a R-kioski, which is a type of small convenience store.

How to find work

Comprehensive information on the topic of finding work in Finland can be found on the Info Finland pages.

If you do not have a job or become unemployed, register as an unemployed job seeker at the TE Office (Employment Services) no later than on your first day of unemployment. Read more on the InfoFinland page ”If you become unemployed”.

You can also find out more on the TE Office pages.011

Keep in mind that if you have only recently moved to Finland and need support for integration, you can get to integration training through the TE Office or your municipality’s employment services. The integration training can include Finnish language studies, other education, or a work try-out.

Family Matters

Day Care

In accordance with Finnish law, all children aged between 0 to 6 years of age living in Finland are entitled to municipal day care.  It is the way to ensure that both parents can work or study. A breakfast, snacks and a warm meal are provided at day care centres so no need to pack lunch.

As there are several childcare centres in the area, the best way to find yours, is to contact:
Kirsi Koski-Säntti,
Director of Early Childhood Education (Varhaiskasvatusjohtaja)
M. +358 (0)400 683 307
E. varhaiskasvatus(at)


If you are moving to Finland with school-aged (7-16) children, education is compulsory for them. From 1 August 2021 education will be compulsory for 7–18-year-olds. This change will include trade schools and upper secondary school.

School meals and materials are provided free of charge in basic education and there are no term fees. Compulsory education also applies to foreign children permanently residing in Finland. Municipalities and local authorities are obliged to ensure that all children can attend school.

You enrol your child to school at the local central school office:
Lari Marjamäki,
Director of Education (Kasvatus- ja opetusjohtaja)
M. +358 (0)40 838 6715
E. lari.marjamaki(at)